Thursday, November 3, 2011

A lesson in rhetoric

    Normally my blog posts are a little bit more serious than this one. However, I just had an epiphany and felt compelled to share my joke. Thank you for your patience. As you will be able to see I am not a comedian.

    Rhetoric is the art of persuasion. According to Aristotle there are three main compontents: Ethos - Character, Pathos - the passions and Logos - the presentation of the argument. In a debate rhetoric is frequently used to make the audience overlook the potential strength of an argument presented by the opponent by drawing on the emotions of the audience in one way or another. I would like to give a brief and funny example of how not to use rhetoric in a debate.

   One should never ridicule the argument of the opponent in any way, and certainly not as follows: "Your previous argument was like fish chowder. There were some consistent parts, and some inconsistent parts, and I found it very difficult to digest."